View Single Post

The boost AFrs are between 11.5 - 12. It is not fuel.
It is blue smoke. In fact since the footage has shown on national TV motorsport programme, a number of people (incl P owners) have contacted me to tell me the car is burning oil. The commentator kept speculating whether my car would last the race. But internally I reasonably confident the engine is in good shape - and I was not pushing it beyond 6000.
Irrespective of what the actual oil level is, (but it is about midway, and the gauge does not peg on warm idle on flat), I am not keen on running it under hard conditions without something showing on the gauge.
I don't know what the leeway is, but 'sump surge' or in this case 'tank surge' is something I'm not keen on if it means the engine runs short on oil for a brief moment. I figure as long as I have at least got the gauge registering under hard G's, the engine won't starve for oil.
My previous non P race car had special baffles made for the sump for this reason. You can loose an engine even under hard brakes. I don't know if it happens to P cars on the track, but I'm not keen to find out the hard way, and when there is nothing showing on the gauge, I have no idea where I am at that particular moment oil-wise.
I will have a look for a ball bearing in my oil line. I do suspect it is coming via the turbo, by whatever means. When I check the vid footage I should get a better idea.
Regards
Alan
Old 08-16-2008, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)