View Single Post
Rocket Scientist

Hmmm, I think we have a disconnect here on the air/water intercooler concept. Porsche used it on the 934 because they were not allowed by the rules to change the "tea tray" spoiler to the whale tail. It uses a separate circuit of water to cool the air from the turbo compressor, and then rejects it to ambient with a front mounted radiator. It normally runs about 5 -7 C above ambient for water temp. In the Excellence I just received some German tuner applied the same concept to a Cayman Turbo conversion. Check it out.

I think the air/air system under discussion would be better for short bursts than nothing at all. If nothing else, it acts as a heat sink, as long as you give it time to cool down between bursts.

Problem is, what if you don't? A 930 at 0.8 bar boost is running around 110 C compressor outlet temps and flowing 0.25 Kg/s air. It doesn't take long to turn a poorly ducted air/air intercooler into a weenie roaster with repeated bursts. If you don't have ignition timing control with a MAT correction, you could have a real bad day under those conditions.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)