Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911nut View Post
The things that make a car valuable are:
(1) low production numbers
(2) technically interesting
(3) high initial price
(4) famous previous owner(s)
Apparently someone was a big McQueen fan and overpaid for his car. That single data point doesn't signal the beginning of a big price run-up on Turbos. The Turbo will never be worth the price of a Enzo-era V-12 Ferrari because of point (1).
There were relatively few RS', RSR's and 934's built. From 1978 until 1989 there were approximately 18,000 Turbo's built for the worldwide market. When the economy's bad Turbo prices drop as people can't afford the high maintenance costs or just need to liquidate.
Also keep in mind that A 911 isn't all that flashy of a car when compared to a Ferrari or Lamborghini. People either love them or hate them. Turbos' will never have the mass appeal of an Italian exotic.
The points you spell out are only a fraction of the value equation. I agree that someone paid a premium for a car owned by a famous porsche afficionado, but we are also not talking millions - do I think any mainstream (non racing) porsche production car will ever achive the 1 million mark? Most definately not in our or our kids lifetime, but in my opinion values for first generation turbos (75-77 under 3000 units produced) should see a turning point in the near future. Things like this sale force this car into the collector limelight which is what we were talking about.

Not all collector cars have been low production cars or even technically interesting (or at least moreso than the 930), look at the current muscle car market, a 63 split window corvette with over 10,500 units produced in one year has a market value around $60-$70K many have traded for much higher. You can take any muscle car from the mid 60's to the early 70's and see huge production #'s, and built cheaply and affordable, yet values continue to increase. Muscle cars have become valueable because there is a large contingecy of the people who actually had one (or wanted one) back in the day, now they have disposible incomes and they are reliving the golden years. At some point the guys who had the 930 poster up on their walls next to the countach poster will begin to drive the demand and push the values up.

Enough of my .02, we just need to see more of these...
'76 Turbo Carrera #311 - Factory LSD, Sport Seats
'75 914 GT clone project
'74 914 track basket-case
Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)