Thread: Engine Removal
View Single Post

The easiest way to do it is to pull both the motor and tranny at the same way. The first time I dropped my motor was a disaster. I used a single face jack and a peice of long plywood the drop it and it tipped over and I had to drag it out. Something you don't want to duplicate. The best way it to get one of those hand truck/dolly with wheels on the backside so you can lay it on it's back and roll it around. Raise the car with two jacks (having another person helps) and slide the dolly under the car so it sit directly under the motor and tranny.( the leverage lip towards the front of the car, the hadle to pull it, towards the rear. lower the car on it and the assembly should sit right on it. (Use a 2x4 under the tranny to keep it from falling backwards) Just unbolt the engine bar from the chassis and unblot the four tranny mmount bolts(dont take off the big nuts!) Simply raise the car evenly on both sides as high as it will go and pull out the dolly with the engine/tranny on it of course). Don't forget to disconnect everything, ground strap, control cables, fuel line, battery cables, CV axles, engine wiring. Oh also you may have to manuver the sheet metal to clear the rear suspension..
Good luck

Old 09-24-1999, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)