Thread: Engine Removal
View Single Post

I can't think of any better advice on engine removal than to look over a book first, but to then make your own 'engine removal checklist', with whatever order you prefer. It's all to human to forget just one point or issue and screw up in the most annoying way.

And now that Jim O. mentions it (post immediately above), I don't think I've ever seen a 12 point allen tool for 914 cv bolt removal that was not already mounted into a ratchet socket. Anyway, Jim S. describes making such a tool from the two separate parts, which is fine, but they are already available through 914 suppliers--whom anyone removing an engine will naturally be dealing with anyway concerning renewal of gaskets and such.

Just don't try to use a VW 6 point star on those bolts just because that tool is easier to get in town (and cheaper); you're more likely to strip out a bolt head with that.
Also, minor note--and this applies to most 914 owners--you may find those cv bolt heads fairly packed with uck, so put that allen in there and give the back of the ratchet head a firm tap or two for good measure, to make sure the allen tool is seated as deeply as possible into the bolt, and you'll be safe n' sure to have a viable bolt you can re-use for reinstallation (and bloodless knuckles when through . --john
Old 09-24-1999, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)