Thread: Engine Removal
View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to 72_914
Just my $.02 on the matter.

Get a friend to help (what guy wouldn't want to take a motor out of a Porsche?).Double check to see if everythig is unhooked. My first time I didn't unhook the throtle cable and ruined it. Drop it slowly and make sure nothing is binding or catching on anything. For the CV joints the guy I bought it off of helped me get them out with a small pipewrench (I mean small about four inches long and only opened a inch). However you get them out is up to you. Since I work in a mechanical field, I had my bolt supplier get me some socket head cap screws (grade 8+) the same pitch and length of the originals. I forget the exact size but you can use a standard allen wrench to put them in/out. With some help I lowered the motor & trans out with a floor jack under the motor (it takes two people to slide it from under the car, and hold the trans up). Once it was out from under the car I used some scrap 2x4's to support under the motor and a old chevelle rim and a few 2x4's to support the trans. I know this may sound like a crude way to do it but it worked. Good luck.
Old 09-25-1999, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)