View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
I was thinking...

There is some debate (naturally) about twin-plugging heads on turbos. Yes, they are mostly flat topped, lower compression piston applications, but with some boost, it seems that attacking the air-fuel mixture from both sides would speed up the flame front. And the best side of the argument is that it probably couldn't hurt.

Anyway, I was wondering how to 12-plug the 965? Has anyone done this?

The spark is triggered from the crank (ok, the flywheel), and the EZ69 digital ignition module does the spark timing and dwell based on engine speed, manifold pressure, temperature, and engine load. Could this signal be split and sent to a second coil (ignition transformer) and Carrera-type dual distributor (for spark distribution only)? Would it fit in the cramped engine bay? Would a single distributor with 12 wires be a better solution?

I am not sure, but I don't think it takes much to trigger the coil. By wiring two coils in parallel, it may be possible to fire two plugs at once.

Taking this idea one step further, another EZ69 could be used with a separate flywheel trigger. But that would require more wiring and design issues.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)