View Single Post

Garage
which choice is best? start with a stock 1980's 930 or a 1980's 930 roller?

Ok, here is a chance for your opinions.

If my goal is to build/buy a 930 and to then get over 350HP on boost, still have reasonable performance off boost, reasonable MPG, reliability and fun...

Would I be better off buying a nice stock 930 and bolting on a performance upgrade (exhaust, turbo, spring, dash gauges, etc.)

or

Would I be better off buying a 930 roller and then building out a nice 3.4L engine with higher than stock compression, then adding the digital WUR, etc. and the exhaust, turbo, spring, etc.

I am assuming I could get a 930 roller for $10k or more less than a nice stock 930, so that would cover a lot of the engine building costs, etc.

My biggest area of internal debate is around the stock 3.3 low compression engine. It seems they are pretty poor performance wise when off boost. So, IU am thinking a higher compression 3.4 or so engine with 2021 or 964 cams would be a better base. Then, adding the turbo on top of that would give me a better DD car and a more fun and competitive DE car.

What do you all think?

I admit these 911/930's are addictive. I have a 1988 911 with a 3.4 NA engine, and now I am looking to figure out how to add a 930 to the garage.

1988 930 coupe - Silver Metallic
stock 3.3L w/GT35R, B&B Headers, RarlyL8 muffler, B&B intercooler, Tial wastegate, Electromotive tecGT based phased sequential EFI & ignition, Wevo shifter
Old 09-05-2008, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)