View Single Post
After the next project

Garage
While I was driving, everything was fine until.....

Blue smoke started blowing out of the exhaust. I was on my way up (2 hrs) to meet with the Sacramento gang from Fresno. I had to turn around after only an hour of driving.

I was decelleratijng down a hill for quite some time when I looked behind me and the cloud appeared. I then shut off the motor and looked around. Everything was dry. Then, started it back up and it smoked for 30 seconds or less then it was clean. I drove it down the hill to a parking lot and checked the oil (right in between the dots) and then decided to head on another 20 miles. I even punched the throttle in full boost and nothing.

The gentleman behind me said it puffs when I decellarate and sometimes when I'm on the gas. As I was heading home it seemed to be OK as long as I was at a steady speed. An occasional blip on the throttle/turbo and nothing happened.

When I started to get closer to home I noticed that when I was at a stop sign, it would start to smoke a little and then when I would take off, the blue smoke would start up again.

The facts:
1) I just had my exhaust off and the turbo looked great (also, the smoke is not present only under boost and is sparatic at times)
2) Car is bone dry (as I stated, the smoke is coming from the tail-pipe).
3) I think it is one of two things
- Valve guide
- Ring on piston
4) I had a compression test done a few months ago and they were all 2-3% except for #3 was 16%, but the motor had been out of the car for a few days so it was a cold test... we were not able to run it for 30 seconds or so prior to. The mechanic thought the ring may have just been sticking. No symptoms and spark plug looked good.
5) The turbo as stated above (I dont think is the issue due to the symptoms and that I just looked at less than 20 miles ago) is only 10 months old K27S and looks great and works great.

My questions are:
1) How would I know if its a ring or a valve guide?
2) How would I fix either of them? Is the Valve guide easy to fix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a problem dropping the motor and taking a look, but I would like to know before I dig in what we think it is.

Thanks,
Bryan

PS. Update, I just started the car after it has been sitting for 20-30 minutes and absolutely no smoke at all from tail pipe. Confusing? Does that rule out a ring and it must be a valve seal/guide?
Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)