View Single Post
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

I follow you now. Seems the best way and cheapest would be to ship the parts needed to be modified if you can't find a place closer to home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
A930Rocket. I had a hard time to envision this situation also. No the scenario is that with the engine bolted on the mounts ( 911SC and 930 blocks are identical in dimension ) the out put shafts from the trans axle are 2 3/4 inches to far toward the front of the car. With a long or short bell housing 930 trans axle or a stock 915 trans axle as used in a 911SC the two out put shafts are in correct alignment to bolt up the half shafts,CV joints rear wheel hubs when bolted to the stock trans axle mounts. If the motor is bolted up to the original motor mounts the two output shafts are 2 3/4 inches to far toward the center of the car. So the only option, apparently, is to use a 915 5 spd trans( to weak ) or a 1977 or earlier 930 4spd trans axle or to have my later trans axle bell housing and input shaft, re machined (2 3/4 shorter) to its originally developed 930 design. In the 75 76 77 930 which is the same mounting as 911SC. Engine mounting was apparently moved rearward 2 3/4 inches to accommodate the more everyday driver user friendly 1978 clutch design. You will also note that the wheelbase is the same on early 930s but the engine/trans together was 2 3/4 inches longer on 78 and up 930. So the best way to do this ( I suspect ) was for Porsche to move the motor mounts rearward. Otherwise they would have had to lengthen the wheelbase and redesigned the rear fender arches further rear wards or relocate the torsion torque tubes forward. Since it had become a pedestrian street car by now the over steering effect was not much of a consideration as opposed to if it had been continually developed as a all out competition car, as such they would have not needed the extra bell housing length for a chatter proof clutch in the first place.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)