View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Well, if you have lateral play on the impeller shaft, that pretty much points to the problem......shot turbo bearing.

The theory behind the oil in the CIS plenum is this. If the oil is upstream from the turbo's impeller, the oil is coming from an area related to the intake system. If it is dry in that area, but wet downstream (impeller blades to engine intake ports), the oil contamination is coming from the turbo.

A lot of 930 owners have removed the oil separator that comes from the factory because they don't know what it does. So what they do is run a hose directly from the tank to the backside of the air filter. What happens with this approach is the oil returning to the tank is under pressure and it generates droplets in the air, plus the oil slushing around in the oil tank exacerbates the problem.

It sounds like you did it right and have a good separator as part of your sump system.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It is very strange to hear a KKK lose a bearing. These turbo's are known to go 80K+ miles if cared for properly......regular oil changes, synthetic oil, proper cool down techniques.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-09-2008, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)