View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd74 View Post
Whoa, dude! That's some crazy stuff. I mean, I think I get it. Here's what strikes me. This photo guys in hardhats, standing beside the accelerator:

Taking into account Trek's concern about safety, why are these guys wearing hardhats?

Also, are the things being smashed actual light? Because the only tangible I got from that article aside from digital cameras and 600 million flashes, was "...enough hydrogen to fill a fine grain of sand..." (sic), and I don't think they intend on smashing particles the size of sand grains - or do they?

In short, what's being smashed to form smaller, rarer particles? How large are the initial items being smashed? Will there be a sound from the "smash?" An explosion? What's the result of the smashing?

It's cool - I'll grant that. But Trek still has a point. You have to wonder what $10 billion and seventeen miles of pipe filled with 9,000 magnets can cause.
Those guys are not standing there right now, I can guarantee that. That spot is a high radiation area right now.

I work at an accelerator facility. We do this every day. No EMPs, no other ill effects.

One of the best analogies I've read is that decades ago when we discovered the existence of electrons, no one had any idea what good could possibly come of that. We wasted all that money and all we discovered was electrons. Now look at how much of our lives are affected by the flow of those same electrons...
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 09-10-2008, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)