View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Piston squirters problem

Can someone describe what the actual squirter looks like below the surface?
My problem is that all six of my squirters seem to be blocked by something metallic about 15mm behind the nozzle and I can only get partial airflow through one of the six squirters at about 60psi. I discovered this during a final check and clean just before I started reassembly today.

I was under the impression they were just a plain jet (like an old carbie jet - remember them!).
Various books, including Wayne's, describe cleaning out the squirters and I quote Wayne ... "the supply holes for the piston squirters can be reached with a flexible plastic extension on your can of cleaner. Simply blow the cleaner through the access holes, and it should spray out of the squirters."
This also kinda made me think that the squirters are like a straight through jet.

Its about ten years since I was last inside a 911 engine (3.2) and I can vaguely remember blowing air through the squirters on that engine without any problem.
This engine is a 1986 930/68 type. Are the squirters different?

The centre part of the squirter can actually be pushed in about 2mm. It feels like it has a spring behind it which pushes it back out. I can visualize there being a spring and a small ball behind the nozzle and this could be what I can feel with a piece of wire through the squirter hole.
I guess the question is - could my balls be rusted up 'coz I haven't used them in ages. Concentrate.

Perhaps I should explain further. I have had this engine in pieces for about six months and when I stripped it, I got it hot-washed by the local Toyota garage (my son is a mechanic there). When I got it home, I attacked it with my pressure cleaner and then it got a thorough blow through with compressed air.

IF the squirters contain little springs and balls, I can imagine that if the cleaning water wasn't fully blown through, they may have rusted up solid, but its a bit hard to be sure without knowing what is actually inside them.

Regardless, I guess I'm up for some new ones because the only way to be sure is to replace them.
I guess this leads nicely into the next issue ... how to get them out?
I presume I can just drill them out, but does anyone know the correct drill size?
Bill
Old 09-12-2008, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)