View Single Post

The best advice I can give is be patient!! Don't buy the first one you look at 'till you've driven several. At the age of these cars, they will have huge differences in feel and performance based on how they have been treated (cared for/modded).

I've done many a PPI on turbos w/ excited, wide eyed, potential buyers standing right there, I can tell you the thrill of owning one of these cars can do strange things to your judgement.

Keep in mind the 87-89 Carrera has the g-50 5 speed gearbox, while only the 1989 & later Turbo is fitted w/ G-50

The turbo 4 speed isn't as balky as the 84-86 Carrera w/ 915 trans so the jump to G-50 isn't as noticable in the turbo as the Carrera, but the extra gear helps w/ drivability. Plus the 4 speed syncros are weak! I still love the "feel" of the 4 speed w/ some big torque behind it though

You would be amazed at how different these cars feel from one to the next, so enjoy the ride!!

oh yea, forget about removing the turbo bits, a stock turbo is only around 7:1/7.5:1 compression...
Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)