View Single Post
Driver

Garage
Are you asking the question of NA versus Turbo? Or specifically the two cars you mentioned? If it's the two cars you've mentioned, that's an easy answer (for me, at least): go with the 930. Barring something ridiculously wrong on the PPI. $32K is way too much to pay for a 3.2 911, unless you're thinking of a garage queen. From a financial standpoint, you'd be silly to put 6K miles annually on that car.

But if you're asking the more common NA versus 930 question, that's going to be very much personal opinion. I don't think the maintenance costs of a 930 are exponentially more expensive. More expensive, yes. But not nearly exponentially so. I don't know what the exact conversion factor would be. Twice as expensive? 50% more expensive?

That's maintenance, I'm referring to. If you get the modification bug, that kind of skews the comparison. There are lots of fairly simple DIY mods that can be done (headers, exhaust, intercooler, turbo, wheels, etc) which will cost a few thousand dollars.

As for daily driver status, they're both 20+ year-old cars. The AC usually sucks. But it'll suck equally badly on both models. So I think that's a toss-up. Reliability will be about the same, I'd guess.

The Carrera is a beautiful, timeless car. But the Turbo is the voluptuous, outgoing, sexy sibling that really makes me go WOW everytime I look at it, let alone drive it.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)