View Single Post
After the next project

Garage
The Big News

Here are the pics of the turbo from Kevin at Ultimate Motorwerks.

You should all know that at some point prior to me purchasing the turbo (never used but bought from private party) there was some damage to the outer casing on the compressor side of the turbo. When I received the turbo everything seemed fine so I didn't worry about it. I'm not saying this caused the failure, but possibly some pre-mature play in the shaft. Anyways, looks like I have more serious problems that need to be addressed. Also, for those who are wondering, my oil has been changed twice in the last 800 miles.

One last thought, when these turbo seals went, I drove the car about 60 miles back to my house while occasionally smoking (of course), so not sure if this would have made everything look worse or not.

Enjoy,

Bearings (the one on the right is from another turbo with 67k on the clock. My turbo had 800 miles)

Outer compressor housing. You can see the damage on the bottom right of the picture below where the turbo must have been dropped. The damage inside was a foreign object that was introduced at some point.

[/img]

Thrust Collar:

Turbine Wheel/Shaft:

Old 09-17-2008, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)