View Single Post

Sandman,

I'm still unclear on something. Does that strange feeling in the clutch pedal occur when the pedal is stationary? By that, I mean while the clutch pedal is held in one position? I now understand that it happens only when the pedal is near the floor. But if you depress the pedal until it's nearly to the floor and hold it stationary, with the engine running, do you get that feeling? Or must you be *moving* the pedal? And does it matter if the transmission is in gear, or in neutral? My reason for asking: if the feeling occurs while the pedal is moving, it may be a different problem than if it occurs while the pedal is stationary.

If you have a T/O bearing or pressure plate problem, it may be more noticeable when the pedal is depressed further, because the load on the bearing is highest at that point. But some noisy T/O bearings get quieter under higher load too. It depends on what's wrong in there...

Like you, I'd like to believe that there's no internal transmission problem (or even linkage problem), but from your description, I'm having a hard time understanding how there *couldn't* be such a problem. There shouldn't be any relationship between a clutch adjustment (or clutch chatter) and the transmission popping out of gear. Clutch adjustment isn't even likely to affect the propensity for clutch chatter, let alone the propensity for the transmission to jump out of first gear (unless there's something else wrong). But if you made an adjustment and the problem(s) went away, then I'd say leave it alone and prepare to do one of your chants.

Rob
Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)