View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Don,
If you can get an ultrasonic mic, these things work great in in isolating sounds coming off the engine. These devices are more directional than conventional stethoscopes and have the added benefit of detecting exhaust leaks. They're expensive though, and a limited number of shops have them. More than likely, you are experiencing a header leak. Get under the car and search for any white traces that would emanate from any crack or gasket. On the other hand.....

When I had problems with valve lash on my car, I had little confidence in my technique. It turns out my technique was ok, but I was experiencing oil starvation to the cam. The wear on the lobes and rockers was accelerated and I found myself adjusting them more often than the norm. If you take the covers off, check the lobes for uneven wear. Check for ridges on each side of each lobe. The lobes should look almost chrome-like in their appearance.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)