View Single Post
Rocket Scientist

Now this IS an interesting topic

I am also designing an air-to-water system. I made a few quick calculations, using the following assumptions:

3.3L displacement
1 bar boost
5800 RPM
127 C compressor out temp
25 C intake manifold temp

With this arrangement you need to reject 27 kJ/s of heat. To put that into perspective, it would increase the temperature of 4 gallons of water about 5 degrees in 10 seconds, so you definitely need a radiator.

I am planning on modifying a trans cooler and mounting it in the front bumper 934-style. I am planning on modifying it to have header tanks for parallel flow, rather than the serpentine flow that they normally have. I haven't calculated how big it has to be yet.

To take advantage of running the water all the way up to the front, I was going to use finned tubes and hoses. Here is a link to the finned tubing I was considering: http://www.enerfin-inc.com/Fins.html. I was going to go with 1 inch tubing.

I am not planning on using a tank for water. I was going to make the heat exchanger the tank, since it is at the highest point in the car. MOCAL makes a turbo water pump, but the pressure drop in the system may be too high to use it (more calculations required).

I haven't decided what to do for the air to water heat exchanger on the engine yet, but the pictures posted in this thread look interesting!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)