Thread: Only idles
View Single Post
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH69 View Post
Well i tried holden the plate down for 2 seconds or so after setting timing.Engine steadily ran worse,ran like it had a miss. Went back and check plugs and wires found 2 plugs wet compared to the others decided to recheck fuel pressure and volume psi seemed good until i check at FD going to injectors (easer to get gauge on ) 2 of them went to 3.5 bar before i stopped the others didn't move gauge. Thinking put wrong size orings when i with 8mmx2mm going to try 6x2. The old orings were hard and broke apart so was tough to get a good size off them. Will see tomorrow it that helps. Don't know what the psi should be at FD head?
Your newly described symptoms affirm that the fuel head is a main problem.
You note the old O-rings were hard, broken. Fuel drying in the head (varnish for lack of a better term) does that. And, according to John at Special-T-Auto, that varnish remains in the head's fuel passages, some of which are less than 1/2 the diameter of a human hair or 0.002". I believe the fuel head rebuilders must soak these iron boat anchors in solvents that really go after dried fuel deposits/varnish if thatís the case.
It may be worth a call to the rebuilder referenced in your CIS rebuild thread http://www.jaytanindustriesinc.com/ and speaking with a technician to verify this input. If verified, you may be wasting your time with the O-rings.
Good that you checked to pressure from the fuel head to the injectors. (I don't know what the proper pressure is either.)
I saw springs in a fuel head photo in your CIS thread that may or may not alter the fuel pressure presented to the injectors. Based on your measured 3.5-bar, it's possible whatever the control pressure is, is passed on to the injectors. Then again, the device isnít called a 'fuel distributor' for no good reason and handles a super critical job.
One lean cylinder and you may get to start another rebuild sooner than you like.
None of your sonís Superman Band-Aids and no number of kisses from Mommy will make that healing process any less painful. Come to think about it, when your sonís Mommy learns of your 930-engineís melt down, even one kiss from her is highly unlikely. On the bright side, you probably wonít be needing to run your refrigerator for a while, so you'll be saving some $$$ toward the rebuild on power bills.
Thumbs up and good luck!
Chris
Old 09-29-2008, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)