View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to Chuck Jones
No...they should be the same ones the sponsor sells..NOT those damn pipe threaded ones....they call them grub screws and they have an allen head on them. They resemble a small grub, hence the name...I haven't seen the ones that Pelican sells....I got mine from a Porsche indy who in turn got them from a Mercedes dealer...and like I said before, they have locktite embedded in the last 1/8th inch or so of the threads so that they stay in. Nathan from UK used some that had a nut type head o them with a lip, and his fell out too. I originally used the SAE allen head pipe threaded ones, and that was a BIG mistake....they started falling out even after I re-torqued them...they still backed out after a couple hundred miles. Since I have the SSI heat exchangers, they cover access to two of the grub screws...so I ended up having to take off the damn heat exchanger to get to the point where I could replace the grub screws. Make sure you use locktite...or you'll end up like I did...extra work and embarrassment....one fell out when I was 50 miles from home so I drove home with it sounding like $hit all the way. It's always nice to be at a stoplight and having folks look over at your nicely shined up and spiffy Porsche that sounds like a lawnmower. You just look straight ahead and pray for the light to change.

RSmike: It does help to use locktite. I agree that the extreme temps do affect them, but the locktite seems to keep them from falling out. The grub screws go all the way in flush....and are tapered to fit tight.

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 10-02-2008 at 11:28 AM..
Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)