Thread: Cams
View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Oh! Springs. Valve springs - gotta replace them with Aase units and ti retainers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voitureltd View Post
Don't forget the ARP Rod bolts and head studs, if you are going for over 400. I just put back together a motor that a builder developed on the slope and ended up with ended with to much HP for the innards. This time JE pistons W Carrillo billet rods. For over 700 hp the factory used lots of Titanium stuff. I know you are not thinking of going that far yet however the slope is pretty slippery. May as well at least be prepared for getting to 400HP with the best bang for the buck ARP stuff and Titanium valve gear as that will be hard ( expensive ) to redo once together. SC cams will keep you in lower RPMs but Groupe Bs are nice as are 964 with stock CID along with the others recommended upgrades. Spend the money inside as some upgrades can easily be bolted on later.
.... and there you have the "slippery slope".

Cowtown, if you're just interested in changing cams, at minimum you'll have to get new rockers or have them rebushed and resurfaced. You'll have to replace the springs, retainers and locks and add shims to the springs to have the correct valve spring height. For longevity, without tearing down the engine again, I strongly recommend a valve job........"while you're in there" insurance.
Voitureltd brought up a good point. Target where you want engine to be, in terms of output. If you don't see the need over the next few years to go higher, then just do the minimum and modify the valve train, but don't expect more than 20 some HP in terms of gains.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)