Thread: Cams
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig 930 RS View Post
Exactly. 'While he's in there' this should be done in anticipation of future changes he most likely will perform.

Recall that the intake manifold is very difficult to open up - very thin walls.
BTDT, learn from my experiences ;-)
Very good point Craig, I didn't mention I have never personally done the port work, I have always shipped it to Ollies. You can send them the heads, blocks and manifold and they will be spot on. I've built and or helped build over a dozen $20K+ motors w/ them in the last 10 years FWIW

I disagree w/ the ARP's/Titanium retainer/heavy valve spring approach in this case. Those are great, well proven modifications, but not needed here IMHO.

I doubt with 964 cams and CIS you will ever have the need to exceed 6500rpm, and that's after you have a better turbo and IC, until then I would shift at 6K. Your dyno sheet will probably prove this should you ever dyno it.

I can't remember all the specs on spring heights, valve sizes, and max RPM, nor do I have all the little white spec books handy.

I don't want to start a huge debate, it's just my opinion about this case based on information given.

You could likely buy a turbo and or IC for what you'll spend on springs, retainers, and fasteners, and don't forget about tuning up your CIS a little. You can spend a small fotune on CIS alone.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)