View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
someone even posted a method for locking them in by drilling the lip and putting wire thru it like a sort of cotter key and wound it around a stationary post...dunno...these have been the most recurrent PIA for me. I'm hoping these mercedes grub screws do the trick. The indy i go to swears by them....and he mostly works on the turbos. Hope springs eternal....
The thread was called "those dam air injector plugs" and it covered a lot of ground on the plugs side of the air injection delete subject.
(I tried my hand at putting a link here but it didn't look correct.)

My solution was to lock-wire the plugs in place.
This is quite easy if your heads are off but not really practical otherwise.
I drilled 1.5mm hole through the head of the plugs and a 2.5mm hole through head fin close to the port then used some 1mm tie wire.
There are "proper" ways of lock-wiring when you are dealing with fasteners on critical joints, but for our application you don't need to be too fussy about following the rules. The main issue is to stop this little fkrs from unwinding and falling out.

The plugs I used are from our host ...
PEL-BRC-02 at $2.95 each "Air Injection Smog Pump Port Plug, sold per each, 911/911 Turbo 1975-83". They come with copper washers and fit all models, not just up to 1983.

Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 10-02-2008, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)