View Single Post
I'll have another

Pics of ugly slave cylinder

Here's what my slave cylinder looked like. The rust colored sediment seen in the reservoir is a clumpy, greasy, clay-like mess in the "housing" (I don't know the proper name) where the cylinder contacts the clutch push rod. I believe it to be very similar to what jweicht's afforementioned post details.

This is the end of the cylinder with the throw out bearing in center (right?). Ugly yes?

Here's an admittedly shoddy pic (hard to get a good shot b/c of its location) of the clutch push rod and housing. It too is full of the rust colored gunk.

I believe the next thing to check is if clutch (DOT4) fluid got in the gear box. I do not have a 14mm allen (I believe that is what it takes) to pull the gearbox drain plug, but I did open the fill plug. In my case, the gearbox was apparently over filled because I got quite a bit of gear oil out. What I did get out was a gloriously golden color and did not appear to be contaminated. I believe if there was clutch fluid in it that it would float on top so I think I have very similar symptoms to jweicht. I will get the proper tool and completely drain it to double check.

Any suggestions on how to clean the push rod housing? A tiny spoon perhaps?
Old 10-02-2008, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)