View Single Post
I'll have another

Lessons learned

I popped awake this morning dreaming of blown slave cylinders and dry spline shafts ... er, that didn't come out right. I got an early start and was able to get my gearbox off. Here's a couple shots that fill in the gaps in the process detailed by repoe3:
Airbox off (note I didn't find it necessary to disconnect the fuel lines from the tank, but may do so to make more room for reassembly).

Here's a shot with the starter off.

And here's just after the magic moment when the gear box was freed. Came off pretty easily actually; I'm sure it helps to only have 7K miles. Note I used a floor jack to support the weight of the gear box to keep things aligned as they came apart.

Fortunately the interior (input side) shaft seal looks nearly new. The felt is not stained by clutch/90W goo. The felt "seal" on the clutch rod seems to have done it's job, but it is saturated and was probably only a matter of time before it let the goo past. Here's a shot.

Last pic I have is of the throw out bearing in the center of the slave cylinder. You can see that the bearing race (I think that's what it is) is loose. When I get a new one, I will compare the two and post an update.

BTW, the splines on the input shaft look great. There's a Honda shop nearby so I got down there this morning to pick up their Moly 60 paste which I'll apply before assembly.

Back to the goo, I'm definitely going to change the "input shaft sealing ring at output end" (service manual language). Question, are the Bimmer tools the only way to go? Perhaps I'll take the entire gear box to Bob's and have 'em do it ... but I've done the rest of the job by myself so seems like wuss'n out to involve someone else now. Hmm ... maybe I can borrow a slide hammer from work ....

PS. Found this thread on an alternative method to getting to the gearbox/clutch. Looks trick.
Clutch replaced-
Old 10-04-2008, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)