View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonE View Post

Goran - loose rocker, how? The lash is set properly, the rocker has little or no side to side play, the rocker shaft is in place and solid. Did I miss something?

It has to be something in the valve train for the #3 cylinder. It's dead silent for the first 30 seconds, then you can hear the tick. At idle, you have a very difficult time hearing it. At 2000 rpm, you can hear it if you know what to listen for. The hotter the engine, the less pronounced the tick. There is lots of oil from the spray bars too.
OK, I assume that you already inspected the rockers. Did you have a chance to inspect valve guides as well?

If this happened overnight and was triggered by tensioner job (with cam timing redone) I would say that issue probably lays within valvetrain. It would be good if you could isolate the cylinder. Then you could remove the valve cover and check for valve guide wear and wear on tappets and rocker shafts.

When you timed the cams, did you turned the engine by hand (with plugs removed) to check for valve/piston interference?

So far, I believe you could narrow the source to few things:

1. Small exhaust leak which expands/tightens with heat
2. Rocker/shaft issue, maybe it starts wandering when it heats up or shaft is pitted?
3. Slightly bent valve due to collision with piston. (timing job)
4. Excessive valve guide wear.

It's really a puzzling problem.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)