View Single Post
A fellow Pelacanite

Garage
Here is one of my previous posts. I'm guessing you can't bolt a newer 3.6 turbo engine in an older 930 chassis .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUK View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about a 3.9 just yet. I may be wrong about that setup but usually with engines you can always go to the max with oversize pistons but there is usually a catch. If you fit large diameter pistons you end up with very little material between the cylinders. In a normal engine this makes them very weak and you actually get bore flex which then robs you of power. The thing I see with an aircooled 911 is a loss of cooling due to the fins being smaller.
So, I'm thinking a smaller engine can give as much hp as it can perform better.
I'm sure that higher quality materials could be used, but they could also be used on the smaller diamater stuff too.

As for stroking the crank, it's favourable to have a large bore compared to the stroke as you can end up with the engine being strangled due to having valves that are too small even though it's not possible to fit larger ones because of the size of the bore.

If I'm way off here please enlighten me! Maybe the 911 engine is different to what I would call 'normal' cars
1981 UK 930. G50/01 shortened, 964 3.8RS Fibreglass Body Kit, 18" Alloys 8.5" F & 10" R, 225's F & 285's R, Special Colour Metallic Blue Paint, FIA Sparco Evo's, A/C and Air Pump removed, Electronic Boost Controller, GHL Headers, Tial46 WG.
Fitting - New service kit.
Needs Fitting - Innovate XD-16 Kit, Kokeln IC. Stephen's K27 HFS, EVO Intake Assy & his Modded USA Fuel Head.

1983 UK 911 3.2 Carrera Sport Coupe. Black, Black Leather with Red Piping, Black Alloy Gear Knob, K&N Air Filter Element, Turbo Tie rods.
Needs Fitting - K&N CO Sensor, Round A/F Dial Gauge, Factory Short Shift Kit.

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Iamnotanumber.jpg
Old 10-06-2008, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)