View Single Post
Doug Siegel

I've put a 1000 miles or less on the car since the rebuild. Fortunately, the guy who did the massive rebuild was also my driving instructor at Watkins Glen last month. He builds Porsche race engines and race cars all day long. After the weekend at the track, we installed the additional fender cooler (without fan). Of course he suggested a center mounted cooler but I wanted to retain the stock look.

Yesterday I drove the car for a half hour. I only got on it a couple of times. The oil temp gage sits at about 9 o'clock(above the second white mark). I have an additional oil temp gage reading from the top of the engine which reads between 212* and 235*. My wrench told me that reading oil temp from the top was not a relevant place, which was only a slight relief when temps hit 287* on the track. The stock gage has 3 white marks and a red. When my PLX gage read 287, the stock gage sat at or above the top white line.

Yesterday I used my hand held digital temp reader at the oil tank, 206*. It was the same at the plx gage. The main oil filter read 202*. Though these temps are not bad, my rpm's weren't kept high enough to warrant temps in the 200's.
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)