View Single Post
Doug Siegel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrmike View Post

If you go the used route, I would strongly suggest having it ultrasonically cleaned and pressure tested before installing.

Any debris lodged in the cooler stands a chance of finding it's way back to the oil tank and ultimately, your bearings

Simply rinsing in a parts washer is not good enough. I've cleaned the coolers in a parts washer before sending them out for ultrasonic cleaning, only to have them returned w/ a neat little baggie full of metal shavings that didn't rinse out for me. That was on more than one 930 w/ rod bearing failure

I use a place on the west coast called Lanfried but it's been a few years since I sent one.

Great suggestion. Considering the fact that I've already rolled the dice by installing a used fender cooler, one my wrench gave me the "ok" on....cleaned only with parts cleaner, I won't take another gamble. Had my wrench informed me of the risk, I'd have purchased a new fender cooler.

Since I've already done several hundred miles with the new oil cooler, I assume if there was junk in it, the debree would have made its way to the engine by now. You think I should pull it and send it to Lanfried?
88' blk/blk 930: Haltech EFI, Twin Plug, Pauter Rods, Nascar Bearings, custom crank work, dowel pinned case, ported manifold and heads, Kokeln I/C, SC Cams, Turbonetics ball bearing 62-1, BB headers, RARLYL8 Zork, additional 993 oil filter, plx/inyourface gage, RS style coilover, Fikse FM10-17 wheels, TIAL 46mm 1 bar. (where the heck did all my money go?)
Old 10-12-2008, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)