View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegel360 View Post
Great suggestion. Considering the fact that I've already rolled the dice by installing a used fender cooler, one my wrench gave me the "ok" on....cleaned only with parts cleaner, I won't take another gamble. Had my wrench informed me of the risk, I'd have purchased a new fender cooler.

Since I've already done several hundred miles with the new oil cooler, I assume if there was junk in it, the debree would have made its way to the engine by now. You think I should pull it and send it to Lanfried?
If your wrench gave you the OK, he probably knows the history. There is nothing wrong with a used cooler as long as you know for sure it didn't come from a toasted engine at some point.

When someone mentioned a mazda cooler, I immediately had bad thoughts of a toasted rotory motor spilling it guts into a cooler, although I'm ignorant to those motors other than they have great horsepower to weight ratios, will rev like stink and run really high EGT's. That's about all I know about them.

I was just amazed at how much metal ultrasonic cleaning can remove even after a thorough rinsing. That little baggie full of rod bearing shavings made a believer out of me.

The fitting size is something to consider as well, I'm not sure what it is. It sounds like you need a long skinny cooler anyways.

Make sure you use -16 AN hose to plumb it and if you get a cooler w/ inlet & outlet on opposite sides, use a nice smooth 180 degree fitting on the drivers side for good flow.

I hope you get it sorted, BTW, did your wrench elaborate on whats wrong with pulling the oil temp from the top of the motor? I assume you mean the thermostat block off plate installed after removing the engine oil cooler, assuming you removed the thermostat on the engine

If your sensor is in the breather cover plate, I understand why he condemned it for oil temp readings...

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)