View Single Post

Unhappy Quirky electric puzzle

I bought a '73 2.0 and I love it. However, it's been frustrating me on occasion when it doesn't start (imagine that). It's happened three times. I'll try to describe the circumstances. Please help me troubleshoot this problem.

1. Doesn't start = turn the key, engine doesn't turn. Deathly silent, except for the fan? I can hear spinning up.

2. Jump starts work. Both battery and push methods.

3. It does not die while running. Drove it from LA to San Diego last weekend--no issues. However when I got back home after two hours of driving, right after I turned it off, I tried to re-start it. Dead. Two days later it started on the first turn--no battery charge or anything.

4. It has only happened after I've been driving it for at least a half hour. When it sits, cold, in my garage it starts like a charm.

Investigated causes:

Battery? The first time it happened, I recharged the battery. It took 5 minutes on a 6-hour charger to completely charge. the next incident happend after about one hour of driving time.

Alternator? I don't think so. Ran for at least three hours over the weekend. No dimming lights, no starting problems until I got home.

Bad ignition switch? The lights and other stuff turn on with the key, but it sometimes just doesn't start the car.

Does anyone have any idea what I should investigate next?
Thanks a million.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)