View Single Post

I experienced these exact symptoms with my '74 914. It just got more and more confusing-was it heat related? why do jump starts seem to help? Also, who wants to drive a car when you know it probably wont start when you get to your destination. I added a hot start relay, new ignition switch, checked the battery and all leads, cleaned the tranny ground...Finally I removed the starter and played with it. Turned out there were dead spots where the brushes made contact. I could never make a good arguement to why heat seemed to worsen the problem, except that heat increases resistance and maybe that was exacerbating the problem. Anyway, with the starter on the floor, i found that depending on where it stopped rotating I could get it to start again without rotating the gear a little bit. Bought a high torque starter, had the flange screws come out and it ate my flywheel. Bought a Bosche rebuilt starter-it too had dead spots. Finally I bought a Bosch starter that had been rebuilt by some american company and it has not given me any trouble for over a year now. I hope this helps.

Ben
Old 04-03-2002, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)