Thread: Nonstarting 930
View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bud9344 Send a message via AIM to bud9344
I have the same issue with mine(87 930) It dies in the midle off nowhere at Sebring. And got tow back to the Hotel , I figure I going to get a lot off help since there was a lot off PCA member there. When I crank the Car I also smell some fuel on the exhaust, I figure it was not a fuel pump problem, I figure it was not getting spark.
I trailer the Car back home to Naples and when I tried it it start right up, but still died out after a short distance. I replace the Coil it has a sign the coil (bosch)was leaking oil. But no luck still died after it warm up. Then I replace the CDI unit from Perma Tech, Bosch CDI was around 1100 or more It lasted maybe about 2 years and It burn the Perma Tech CDI unit as well, so being stuburn I replace with another Perma Tech CDI unit till Just before I move to Orlando I order another CDI (Perma Tech) unit just to have as spare.The Part store ask me weather or not I have replace the Coil from Perma Tech.I still using the Bosch Coil.
According to to him I should have replace the Coil from Perma Tech as well that is why the car is eating CDI unit.
I replace the Coil now. I have Perma Tech CDI unit and PermaTech Coil and so far I have no problem drove the car from Naples to Orlando with no problem.
The only diff between Bosch CDI and Perma tech CDI is, Bosch CDI turn the fuel pump for a few second when you turn the key to Start and Perma Tech doesn't. Just have to crank a bit longer before it fire.
PS I also notice with the Bosch CDI if hear the whine noise off the fuel pump the car will Fire, and if I don't hear the whine noise the Car will not Fire it keep Cranking.
I hope this help I just telling you what I experience with mine

Bud

87 930 Black/Tan
86 951 Black /Black
87 944S White
83 944 N/A Black
83 944 N/A WHite Auto
Old 10-14-2008, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)