Thread: Nonstarting 930
View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gilsdorf View Post
Hi Guys, need some help diagnosing a problem with my 87 930...
Problem first started after a short drive, went around a corner, tried to accelerate slowly and the car died. Starter cranks but would not fire. I waited a while and it started right up and ran great. Pump relays and the fuse were all fine. I blamed it on bad gas, until it happened again. Both times dying only a couple blocks from home, then restarting eventually.

I had initially thought this was a fuel pump issue since I noticed the I no longer had the rather loud whine my front pump would make before i started the engine. I found my single fuse for the fuel pumps running VERY hot, so i performed the dual fuse upgrade.

Unfortunately the car left me on the side of the highway soon after. At speed with steady throttle it began sputtering then died with a big backfire. This time it would not restart at all.

I can smell gas at the exhaust after cranking, which has made me question whether this is a pump issue. My CDI box whines like normal. My next step would be replacing the yellow overboost relay. Any ideas?
Thanks!
I suspect your front fuel pump. They are usually the first to go and get very noisy before their demise. When these fuel pump motors seize up, the amperage goes up causing the relays to get very hot along with their fuses. They don't short circuit because they have carbon brushes and the resistance of the windings in the circuit of the motor.
The first place I would check is your fuel system pressure. Pull the green plug over by the metering plate and turn the ignition on. DO NOT TOUCH OR OPEN THE METERING PLATE AS THIS WILL FLOOD THE ENGINE. Listen up front by the front wheels and check if you can hear the front fuel pump whine. It shouldn't be loud or chatter.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)