Thread: weird oil leak.
View Single Post

weird oil leak.

I have a big oil leak which I cannot find the source of. It is on the LHS (turbo) of the engine. I thought it was the cam seal, so I have just replaced both sides of cam seals (with engine in).
Just gone for first run. There is oil streaming out of the engine - but not from around the cam housing area. It is coming from the front LHS of the lower engine. The really wet area is the neck on the header - from where the warm air hose pushes over. This pic was taken earlier - before the problem - but this neck is now saturated in oil, and running down onto the header, and streaming over the rear LHS of the engine. Wetting everything. The inside of the header neck feels wet too. The area around the header (scavenge pump etc) is completely dry. There are no leaks on the topside of the engine.
After a short run, sitting for 5 mins, it would drop a puddle or two of about a tablespoon of oil, and the lower surface of the header box will be dripping in oil.
Where on earth can this be coming from? The exhaust is absolutely clean of any smoke. I do not believe it is internal.
Alan
Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)