Thread: weird oil leak.
View Single Post
Manassas, VA

Garage
I had a similar oil leak. It seemed as though oil was everywhere. The problem is compounded because our engines are air-cooled and the fan blows the leaking oil everywhere. Also, when driving the car, the wind-stream can carry the oil to odd places. It even moves forward because the air swirls around under the fenders.

My problem turned out to be the brass tube carrying the scavenged oil from the turbo sump to the pump. The tube was rubbing on the exhaust heat shield and wore a hole in the tubing. The funny thing was that the pump would suck a little air when the car was running, but as soon as I turned off the engine the oil would run back through the pump and out of the unseen hole in the bottom of the tube.

To solve the problem I raised the car and cleaned the area really well with solvent. Then I let the engine run for a few minutes at a time, shut it off, and went in with a flashlight to see where the oil was coming from.

In your case I would suspect the forward oil return tube at the cam tower end or the oil line that drains the crankcase (the large black steel tubing) at the forward end of the driver's side near the flywheel. It might be a loose connection.

Good Luck,
Mark
Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)