Thread: Brakes
View Single Post

Brakes

(snip)
From Zeke914
JP, can you elaborate on this a little. I have the S calipers for the front and M for the rear, but don't know which rotor to get or what mods needed. Yes, have the five stud hubs. What was the problem with the original rear calipers and S brakes? I have that set up too.

You might want to reply with a New Topic as this one is about upholstrey, car stands, engine lifts and brakes. TIA.
(snip)

The stock rear 914 brakes were just along for the ride.
I'm not exactly sure why.....piston size, pads, the adjustable proportion valve.....what ever, they were barely rearanging the rust on the rear rotors. The system was out of balance, and I couldn't get it in. The fronts were doing all the work.

As I recall (the directions are long gone), the porp valve I'm using
(Wilwood) delivers a maximum of 60% of the line pressure to the rears. My memory may be faulty here, but I had it fully open. If that is the case, it wasn't enough. I'd prolly been better off with a "T". I have "heard" that works.

Either way, I went to M rears and vented rotors.
One needs to either:
Put a spacer between the axle flange and rotor.
or
Put spacers between the caliper and caliper mounting points.

This centers the caliper on the rotor. The spacer needs to be about .200 thick.
Since the axle flange is used to center the rotor (axialy), I went with spacers between the cailpers & mounts. Needed to get longer caliper bolts (grade 10.9, as I recall).
One also needs new hard lines to the calipers.....12 inch
pre- mades are just right......no pic, go figure.

I have a nice set of stock rear calipers F/S........
Old 04-05-2002, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)