View Single Post

I went the Dynamat route and did the engine-side firewall with two of their "DynaPak's", which I think are 4 sq ft each. I think the rough measurements are 20" x 50". Whatever their short dimension was on those sheets was just right. You're gonna be doing some cutting and pasting, it's not acoustically important if you have joints in the stuff, as long as there are no gaps.

I don't know the McMaster Carr stuff, but something that faces metal towards the engine is a good idea. I covered both sides of the firewall with 2 different types of Dynamat, and it improved the sound in the cockpit, but it's still probably above female-passenger-comfort-level. Probably due to the bulkhead engine mount and reinforced concrete suspension bushings.

I have since been counseled that a LOT of engine noise comes up through the engine lid and resonates the rear window, especially if you are doing one of those GT engine grills. This information dampened my enthusiasm for the GT engine grill, and I'm thinking of pasting my leftover Dynamat scraps to the underside of my engine lid (solid part, that is...).

I've since found another interesting source of similar but cheaper stuff at www.partsexpress.com, no direct experience with that stuff though.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)