View Single Post

My 87 930 vs. 08 vette impressions

Now first off I am not a Vette hater and my 930 is not stock but I spent a few days on and off the track and really had an eye opening experience. The Vette was an 08 model with 436 hp (special exhaust adds the 6 bonus hp) and the paddle shifting auto

On the street the Vette was a beast, great brakes, massive acceleration from a standstill and felt rock solid at 140+. I was able to play tag with my buddy in his 993 C4S 6 speed with one hand on the wheel and simply clicking up and down the gears. I am sure he was working much harder and I could obviously use the big HP advantage if I had wanted

At the track it was a different story. The track was Monticello Motorclubs South and Full course. The track was very cold at between 30 and 50 degrees F during the day and the racing surface is still not sealed. Combine those factors with the lousy runflat tires(who the F made that decision on a sports car?) and my lack of experience with the car and it was a handful. The car is just too big and "boaty" for me. Even when I had grip it seemed to plow and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't enter corners near as fast as my 930 (though my hardheadedness made me keep trying and made it worse). I also couldn't use close to all the power because any real heavy throttle out of the turn and she spun the tires or got loose. I felt like I was driving my old Caprice cruiser at times . My 930 in the rain at the track on street tires felt better and more planted!

On the street the car was really fun, but on the track my 930 was just so much better and more solid. Now I know tires and a diff. track surface would go a long way, but the vague feel would still be there. It just was so much less raw, it dulled an otherwise great experience into something less. I am sure the Z-06 is several steps up, but I don't think I could ever be happy with that much car between me and the road. I am much happierwith my hard to steer, slightly laggy, smelly, flame shooting, tractor like shifting, no AC, no anti-lock, no traction control raw brute of a 930!

On the ride home, again the Vette was great and really shined.... so I forgave her
1987 930 - K27 7200 / DAS Full Cage / Blownsix Intercooler / BB Headers / Zork Tube / Tial 46mm / Adjustable WUR / RPM Activated Solenoid / Open Element Air Intake / Smart Racing 27mm Sways / 24 and 33mm Torsion Bars / Adj. Spring Plates / Wevo Strut Brace / Monoballs / Tow Hooks / Oil Cooler Scoop / Brey Krauss Harness Truss / Race Seats / XD-16 AFR Guage/ 17" Kodiak Racing Whees and Nitto NT-01 255/315s

Last edited by F350Lawman; 10-25-2008 at 10:34 PM..
Old 10-25-2008, 10:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)