View Single Post
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
Got the 930 Back from Shop...

I got my 930 back from the shop this past Friday evening. Full top-end rebuild with new rings and everything above. New 964 camshafts, B&B exhaust with heat, and In-Your-Face AFR gauge.

I Put about 50-miles on it this weekend - All at or below 5k rpm... Kept boost below .8 bar. BTW: I had never driven it since I bought it 6-weeks ago... Thankfully, my mechanic [who races these things on the national circuit] took me for a spin in it and put it through the motions - - I was scared sh--less!! I'll leave that type of driving to the experts...

I'll post some pictures. For you experienced guys out there, I've got a few questions/concerns. And, would like to compare your answers with what I'm getting at the shop:

1. On initial start-up [after sitting throughout the night] the engine/exhaust smokes [oil] for about the first 15-20 seconds. How long should i expect this to occur? It's really a lot of smoke [fills the garage...]

2. On cold start-up, the engine initially idles at about 2K for the first 20-sec. Then, slowly works its way down to 950 rpm after about 1 min... Is this normal?

3. Fri, Sat & Sun - the engine ran smooth. Then, just this evening, I started it and within 2-min. I noticed a slight misfire. So, I pumped the go-pedal a few times to "clear it out" and noticed that it still had a slight misfire [like it was running on 4 cylinders]. I also noticed that my AFR's were spiking in the 15-16 range for split seconds [this hasn't occured until today]. What could be causing this?

Answers to these questions will help me in dealing with the mechanic/shop that did the rebuild. Thanks!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)