View Single Post

Sorry to clog with more posts, but I've been looking at sound isolation recently because I'm building a recording studio. . .

3 ways to stop sound from coming in through a wall. . .

1. mass. . . takes more energy to move a heavy wall than a light one. . . that's why a lot of car sound deadening materials list weigth per square foot as a reference.

2. Convert kinetic energy into heat. . . stick something goey to the metal that will turn vibrations into heat.

3. Isolate. . . in a house or studio, it's floated floors, ceilings, doubled windows, and walls decoupled by rubber spacers. This I guess is the strategy behind B-quiet.com 's ultra-light stuff. . . isolating layer and then, another stiff aluminum layer. . . (but it's not flexible and harder to install). Must be careful that the 2 decoupled walls do not have shared resonating frequencies that would let certain sounds through.

The foams do more in the way of absorbing sound so it doesn't bounce around in a space than to stop it from travelling through a wall. . .

If you're going for super-quiet, it's going to be heavy, but 2 layers of sound deadener works much better than 1. . . which makes it doubly important to find something REASONABLY priced as opposed to dynamat.

Stepping of soapbox ,

-'Chung
Old 04-08-2002, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)