View Single Post
Tinkering Pays!!

Garage
An Update from the New Guy....

I've had the car back for 1-week, now... I've put about 200 miles on it, and it's been running great! The smoking appears to be subsiding. It still smokes at startup, but appears to be a little less... I think the idle could be set a little lower [right now: 1,100 rpm]. My AFR's are running between 13-14 with normal driving. I have the Andial fuel mixture selector and notice my AFR's drop to the 10's when under boost... I've been keeping the max boost at .8 bar [I have the 934 adjustable boost knob mounted between the seats].

I spoke with Randy Greff, my mechanic about the rings/cylinders issue and I agree with his response:

Randy wrote: First of all we are talking about a low mile engine that had broken head studs. We always check the cylinders for being round and not excessive wear. Yours are fine. The cylinders are a nickel silicon alloy. In layman's terms the cylinders are nickel plated. These cylinders are tough. There is wear tolerances that we check after cleaning to insure they are o.k. and nothing strange is happening. The new rings will break in in about a 1,000 miles. And the smoke will calm down. Trust me, we have built over a hundred 911 and turbo engines. On another note, The piston and cylinders are $4,000. We could have replaced them, we could have done the bottom end. This would have been alot more money. When do you stop. I believe we had your best interest and money in mind when performing all the work we did. I know you are excited about your new toy, and if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them.
Thanks, Randy

I do have one "new owner" concern, as it pertains to the cockpit heating system: With all the switches [between the seat lever "down"; control knob to "0"; all levers to max "left" position] in off position, I still get some hot air blowing out of my foot vents. I find I have to move the middle lever to far right "defrost" to keep my toes from melting!

Is this normal?????? Any help would be much appreciated...
Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)