View Single Post

I have mounted a cam trigger on the driver's side cam while using the scavenge pump, it was crudely fabricated but it works.

I'm trying to remember exactly what I did, but I know I used a flat round piece of steel, and cut out all but a notch in the right spot, and used another VR sensor like one on the crank sensor to trigger it. I mounted the sensor to the original housing that held the sprocket for the smog pump, and replaced the sprocket with a trigger wheel. But, sometimes the scavenge pumps are mounted directly to the cam carrier and don't have a housing for the smog pump drive so not sure what you should do at this point.

Typically cam synch sensors are more reliable when using a hall-effect sensor, though, as the lower speed from the cam generates a weaker amplitude of the signal, where as a hall effect sensor is self powered and simply uses the presence of ferrous material to trigger the sensor internally. With the VR sensor, you are actually generating the voltage used for the signal...

Last edited by rsrmike; 11-09-2008 at 07:03 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)