View Single Post

Gas vapors in cabin while on boost

I've been noticing a strong smell of gas fumes in the cabin while on boost. This is my first fall/winter in the car where I've used the heat- until now the windows/sunroof have been open for the majority of my driving. I have relatively new GHL headers w/heat (approx 4000 miles on new headers) and I'm starting to wonder if I have a crack or something that is allowing gas fumes from the exhaust to leak into the heater boxes & cabin. My AFR drops to 10.5-11 at 0.9-1bar- and the gas smell occurs. Otherwise I don't smell/notice anything during non-boost driving (AFR is typically in the 13-14.5 range while cruising). I have a Leask adjustable WUR- and I know I need to tune it a bit to get it a little leaner while on boost...but regardless of the air/fuel mixture I would think the only indication of low AFR should be suboptimal performance/low readings on my gauge; not gas vapors in the cabin. Am I correct in thnking I have a header issue- or is there something else that may be causing the fumes in the cabin at low AFR's? Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)