View Single Post

Ah... Tony P's track. Yes, he did spend a small fortune building a real Petit Le Mans and bless him for it

Remember the ol Revell Raceways ? Chain of converted old markets where Revell built several tracks, sold parts and cars.

We had the fortune of racing at MESAC= Miniature Electric Scale Auto Club located in a building near the Forum/ Hollywood Park in Inglewood. A bunch of head honchos that were working for Aurora, Revell, Cox, and Ruskit got together, with friends, and built an awesome multi version track. Flip a section and it changed configurations. You had to take a line (forced of course by the slot position) going into the turns so had to consider real side by side racing. Adjustable night lighting, p.a. system, 1/2 voltage pits (switched blades in the track would shuttle you into the pit area when ordered to ) made for a pretty realistic series of races.
I wish i had taken pics of all that set up. We had 1/32 and 1/24 scale racing series, enduros, concours- the works! My brother and I had a stable of 917's and RSR's. They ran a Trans Am in 1/32, IMSA and Le Mans cars in 1/24.

Kurt Oblinger (posts here) was our chief painter- he always got the details right

As a private club, it wasn't long before the interest started to wane (real cars were starting to take all our money to play with) and the club closed up. The track may still exist in someone's large garage.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)