View Single Post

Hey RT,

No worries, there is no such thing as denseness here

I confess to being terrible at explaining things.

In your case, I would contact web-cam(only people I've used) or some of the other reputable cam vendors represented here, for the sake of simplicity. They know what to do and do it well.

Bill has already been through a nightmare w/ cams on another continent and was lucky enough to get fixed up w/ some standard SC cams, so now he has to modify them for the scavenge pump drive.

He has valid concerns about adding the drive for the oil pump to "standard" SC cams which have no provision for an oil pump drive, seeing as they were from a non-turbo

In a standard turbo, w/ air injection pump, the left cam is longer, protrudes slightly from the end of the cam carrier, and supply a mounting boss for the pulley which drives the Air pump. There is another 2 piece housing that bolts to the cam carrier and acts as a housing for the pulley/smog belt, as well as a mount for the scavenge oil pump. This housing also holds a small thin seal that runs on the "extension". Which makes the concentricness? even more important.

If you never intend to use a airpump again, you can simply drill and tap two holes in the face of the cam. sometimes there are pilot holes in place that just need to be drilled and tapped to 6mmX1.0 and install two shorter 5mm allen head (6mmX1.0 thread) bolts for the oil pump drive. This would simplify the addition of an oil pump drive and reduce 1 possible oil leak (the thin seal in airpump housing) It would also move the scavenge pump approx. 1.5 inches closer to the cam carrier which might cause a fitment issue w/ a hardline from turbo drain sump to pump though FYI. However, the 3 bolt pattern for the scavenge pump is the same for the cam carrier, I believe the early 3.0 turbos w/ no air pump mounted this way...

I also know the RUF RCT mounts this way as I had one off recently, which is what inspired all this chatter. I hope this makes sense.

Hey Bill, do you see 2 "pilot holes" in the face of the 1-3 camshaft? If I recall, they aren't as hard to drill and tap as one would think. I had that same thought at one point myself...

Last edited by rsrmike; 11-13-2008 at 08:00 AM..
Old 11-13-2008, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)