Thread: Slant Nose
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
... but they did use dealerships.

The US '86 Slant that was in my shop a few weeks back was such a car. Full documentation as it was purchased at Barrett-Jackson. A photo album of the full "dealer option" was included. All of the authentic factory Porsche parts were installed on a 930 at the dealership. I went over that car with a fine toothed comb and was amaized at the level of detail and perfection. The only hint of the history was the missing 505 code. The window sticker was included as well as Porsche factory documentation. Very impressive auto.
RarlyL8; You are correct.. they did use dealerships, however not to produce the parts,.. as you stated; "All of the authentic factory Porsche parts were installed on a 930 at the dealership." And not all dealerships were allowed to do this.. I think it had something to do with size of the sevice dept/number of units moved etc..

Alan Johnson Porsche/ Alan Johnson racing was one of these dealerships and my current slant was coverted there by the original owner of the car. If you look back in some of the old Panorama magazines, you'll see ads for AJR offering these and other factory performance parts etc..

kilodawg: Yes, rear flares on Turbos were welding on in the early day 76 through early 79 I believe. That was normal.. as demand grew for the 930 they just tooled-up and started stamping the full 1/4.

The Porche factory as well has PCNA has never really had or shown any interest in supporting these cars. In the early days of the special wishes cars they were viewed as one-offs as each rich customer had their own particualar desires so no two were really alike. Thus they bothered to keep no records.. it was onesy twosy work to them.

Later, and more or less because of US demand, and the burgeoning aftermarket.. they figured why not gather all these custom "special wishes" pieces together and offer them as an optional package through our dealer network. We can charge out the wazoo.. and that's what they did.

The factory slantnose package 505/506 was a $28,000 option!!

It makes sense to me given several factors:
- they obviously had the tooling and capability to do more than just one offs,
- the US economy was strong for the most part as was the exotic car market
- wings, scoops and vents, and steam roller rubber were in vouge
- and the old body 911/930 was on it's way out as evidenced by the 89 C4
- Lets move these leftovers boys!

I think it would be cool to have a slantnose registry that included both factory or aftermarket.

There were some highly regarded aftermarket conversion out there. Blackburn & Daly cars were really nice conversions. They only did there conversions on new cars... if you wanted yours done by them it had to be practically new.. under 10k miles or something. They even did an SC/Carrera non widebody version.

Golden Coachwerkes made the steel inserts with the buckets and louvers that used the mazda motors. The nice thing about the Mazda motors was price... when you needed a relacement part it was readily available and reasonable. Some of those conversions were done very well also depending on who performed the work. I used a set of thier inserts on my 77 930. Seams were finished with lead. It was a beauty. We even set-up the oil cooler in the right rear vent as the facotry 930S. I used factory parts as well... ouch!
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!

Last edited by onboost; 11-16-2008 at 08:01 AM..
Old 11-16-2008, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)