View Single Post

3.5 P/C Question

I've got an 82 911 Turbo that I've got some questions about.

The car has been upgraded with the 3.5 Mahle Pistons and Cylinders and uses Elgin CIS-S camshafts and a K27.

A couple years ago my wife took the car to go grocery shopping and put the bags in the trunk, then took off without closing the trunk properly . Needless to say, this resulted in damage to the trunk lid, hinges and parts of the body between the trunk lid and windshield. Since the car had been running rather hot and had some oil leaks, I decided to redo the motor while the body work was being done.

I took the heads, cam towers, Ps and Cs to a local Porsche shop for reconditioning, cleaning, and measuring the P/Cs for roundness. The sat for about 8 months with nothing being done so I went to pick them up to do the cleaning myself and take the rest to another shop. Bottom line is that during the 8 months, they lost the P/Cs.

I am now wondering what is the best way to go about replacing them? The Mahle replacements run about $7K, which is a little steep for me right now. I know Powerhaus makes this size P/C, but don't know their prices (am still waiting for their catalog in the mail), and LN makes Nickies and Pistons sets for this application for around $3.5K using J&Es. Anyone have any experience with either of these? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.

Also, anyone familiar with the Elgin "CIS-S" cams? Is this the same profile used in the CIS 911s (74-77) or an SC cam?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)