View Single Post
After the next project

Garage
Updates

Hello, I apologize I took this long to update everyone. I finally put my car back together this past weekend. Here is how the events went down.

1) Recieved turbo back 4 weeks ago from rebuild.
2) Installed and car started and it was fine as long as I had the scavenge pump line disconnected.
3) Hooked up scavenge pump line and turbo started to blow smoke past the seals again (car still on jack stand... have not driven it)
4) Realized that scavenge pump may be bad. Ordered seal kit from TurboKraft (Chris...great guy) and rebuilt scavenge pump. No difference to the naked eye if it was working better.
5) Drove the car around the block to see if it was an issue and people must have thought there was an oil fire around due to the huge cloud of smoke. I was an Uncle Buck inpersonator (John Candy in case you missed that)
6) During this time, Kevin at Ultimate requested that I send the turbo back to make sure it wasn't the turbo. Everything seemed fine. I recieved the turbo after 4 weeks and he said that it looked good.
7) In the meantime, I added an additonal AN fitting to the other end of my drip tank along with an AN fitting in the Chain cover on the passenger side to help with removing the excess oil (pictured below).
8) Put the car together this last weekend and now have 100 miles (no boost yet) and everything seems to be ok.
9) I will be getting a leakdown in the near future but I have an issue that I had prior to this one which I could use some help figuring out.

The symptoms, Please read this carefully...

The temperature outside is around 55 degrees. When I am driving the car (remember, no boost yet) the car will never heat up appropriately to the desired temperature.

Anytime there is load on the car (taking off from dead stop or pushing on gas at low rpm's) the car will buck like it's missing on 2 of the six cylinders or no fuel. It doesn't matter how long I drive the car for, this will happen. Now for the really weird part... if I stop, shut off the car and let some of the heat from the motor fill the engine bay heating up components (like the WUR, spark plug wires which are brand new and other things) I can go to the car and start it up 10 minutes later and the car will run great with absolutely no bucking or hesitation at all for about 2 blocks. As soon as the cold air gets back into that area, the entire thing happens all over again.

Any suggestions? I have posted some pic's of my drip tank so you can get the idea of what I did. If anyone else needs some photo's, I will be happy to take tomorrow.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Bryan

Old 11-22-2008, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)